Can I vote absentee? Connecticut has strict laws regarding who can vote absentee.
- Are you an active member of the armed forces of the United States?
- Will you be out of town during all the hours of voting on Election Day?
- Does illness prevent you from voting in person on Election Day?
- Do your religious beliefs prevent you from performing secular activities like voting on Election Day?
- Will you be performing duties as an election official at a polling place other than your own during all the hours of voting on Election Day?
- Do you have a physical disability that prevents you from voting in person on Election Day?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you are eligible to vote absentee.
How do I vote absentee?
- For a general election, please use the Application for Absentee Ballot:
- For an emergency ballot within 6 days of an election, please use the Emergency Application for Absentee Ballot:
- For a referendum with less than 3 weeks’ notice, please use the Application for Absentee Ballot for Referendum Authorized to Be Held With Less than 3 Weeks’ Notice (please note these ballots can not be mailed to you):
- If you have a permanent disability, you may be eligible to apply for a permanent absentee ballot. Contact your local Town Clerk for details.
Who can download an application for absentee ballot? An application for absentee ballot may be downloaded by an individual for:
- The individual’s own use
- The use of a member of the individual’s immediate family
- The use of a designee of the applicant
NOTE: Any person who will distribute five (5) or more absentee ballot applications to persons other than the individual’s immediate family must register with and obtain forms from the Town Clerk of the municipality where such forms will be distributed before distributing such forms.
What happens after I send in my application?
- Your Town Clerk will process your application.
- An absentee ballot will be mailed to you beginning:
- 31 days before a general election
- 21 days before a primary
- 19 days before a referendum
- Or if your application is received after the above dates, your ballot will be mailed to you as soon as your application is processed.
- Complete the ballot, carefully following the instructions that are included and return it by mail or in person.
- Only complete absentee ballots received before the close of polls on the day of the election will be counted.